WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DOES CAREPLACE COLLECT?The information we gather from customers enables us to personalize and improve our services and to allow our users to set up a user account and profile that can be used to interact with other users through the Website. In connection with the Website, we request and display some personal information to other users and visitors of Website, which allows users to identify each other. We collect the following types of information from our customers.
- Personal Information You Provide to Us: We receive and store any information you enter on our Website or provide to us in any other way. The types of Personal Information collected include your full name, email address, IP address, browser information, password, health and medical information, comments, and any other information that you upload, post or create yourself, such as your postings, images, questions, answers and profile information. You can choose not to provide us with certain information, but then you may not be able to take advantage of many of our special features. The Personal Information you provide is used for such purposes as allowing you to interact with other users, customizing the advertising and content you see, and communicating with you about specials and new features. We may also draw upon this Personal Information in order to adapt the services of our community to your needs, to research the effectiveness of our network, and to develop new tools for the community.
- Personal Information Collected Automatically: We receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with our Website or services. CarePlace automatically receives and records information on our server logs from your browser including your IP address, cookie information, and the page you requested.
- Generally, our service automatically collects usage information, such as the numbers and frequency of visitors to our site and its components, similar to TV ratings that indicate how many people watched a particular show. CarePlace only uses this data in aggregate form, that is, as a statistical measure, and not in a manner that would identify you personally. This type of aggregate data enables us to figure out how often customers use parts of the Website or services so that we can make the Website appealing to as many customers as possible, and improve those services. As part of this use of information, we may provide aggregate information to our partners about how our customers, collectively, use our site. We share this type of statistical data so that our partners also understand how often people use their services and our Website, so that they, too, may provide you with an optimal online experience. Again, CarePlace never discloses aggregate information to a partner in a manner that would identify you personally.
- Aggregated Information: We may collect certain aggregate, non-personal, statistical information about our users and share this non-personal information with outside parties (for example, the number of members who searched for information about a particular disease; how many members clicked on a particular advertisement; or the number of users aged 35 or older). Such information will not be used to identify you individually.
MORE ABOUT TARGETED ADVERTISEMENTSThe advertisements you see in the CarePlace community are designed and delivered by our corporate partners. We display targeted advertising based on Personal Information, but your Personal Information is never given to the actual advertiser. Instead, advertisers ask us to provide advertisements to members who fit certain descriptions, and we handle the rest. For example, an advertiser may ask us to target men aged over 35 years living near the Great Lakes. However, even though we never disclose your information, you, by interacting with or viewing an ad, are consenting to the possibility that the advertiser will make the assumption that you meet the targeting criteria used to display the ad. Basically, by clicking on one of these ads your actions will define you as fitting the advertiser's request, even though CarePlace has not and will not disclose any Personal Information to advertisers or other third parties.
SHARING PERSONAL INFORMATION WITH OTHER USERSThe availability of your Personal Information to other members of the CarePlace community is regulated by you in your privacy settings. Please remember that if you choose to provide personal or medical information on community message boards, or in community or other on-line discussions, that information is governed by the privacy settings of that particular CarePlace group and may be available to the general CarePlace membership. Individuals reading this information may use or disclose it to other individuals or entities without your knowledge. Therefore, when using community message boards and discussion groups, we urge you to think carefully about including any specific information (medical or otherwise) that might be used to identify you or your family members. You can choose your own privacy settings. Your privacy settings are very adaptable and can be adjusted by many different criteria, both in terms of who can see your information (your supporters, for example) and what information you reveal (specific journals or specific groups). We are continually adapting these settings to the needs of our members, so please check the privacy settings page often. If you have not done so already, we urge you to set your privacy settings in order to guarantee that your information is shown only to the members or groups of your choice. Please understand that while your privacy settings apply to other members of the CarePlace community, they do not apply to CarePlace employees, contractors, and agents in their capacity to maintain and improve the Website. In order to participate in certain group discussions, you may be required to provide more contact information to the other members of a particular group than your privacy settings allow. There is usually a good reason for this: for example, the group may wish to block anonymous or semi-anonymous submissions in order to facilitate open community dialogue. In this case, you may choose not to change your privacy settings and will not be able to participate in the group, or you may choose to alter your settings to allow this group to see more of your information than the average CarePlace member. You will be prompted to do this when you try to join the group.
WILL CAREPLACE SHARE ANY OF THE PERSONAL INFORMATION IT RECEIVES?
Personal Information about our customers is an integral part of our business. We neither rent nor sell your Personal Information to anyone. We share your Personal Information only as described below.
Affiliated Businesses We Do Not Control: We are affiliated with a variety of businesses and work closely with them. In certain situations, these businesses sell items to you through CarePlace's Website. In other situations, CarePlace provides services, or sells products jointly with affiliated businesses. You can easily recognize when an affiliated business is associated with your transaction, and we will share your Personal Information that is related to such transactions with that affiliated business, if you have agreed to be solicited by marketing partners during the registration process.
Agents: We employ other companies and people to perform tasks on our behalf and need to share your information with them to provide products or services to you. Unless we tell you differently, CarePlace’s agents do not have any right to use Personal Information we share with them beyond what is necessary to assist us. You hereby consent to our sharing of your Personal Information for the above purposes.
User profiles: User profile information including users’ name, email address, and other information you enter (“User Submissions”) may be displayed to other users to facilitate user interaction within the Website. Email addresses are used to add new User Submissions to user profiles and to communicate through User Submissions. Users’ email addresses will not be directly revealed to other users by CarePlace, except, when the user is "connected" to another user via a shared group membership, or an invitation, or if the user has chosen to include their email address in their user profile.
Communication in response to User Submissions: As part of the Website and its associated services, you will receive from CarePlace email and other communication relating to your User Submissions. You acknowledge and agree that by posting such User Submissions CarePlace may send you email and other communication that it determines in its sole discretion relate to your User Submissions.
Promotional Offers: We may send offers to you on behalf of other businesses if you have agreed to be solicited by marketing partners during the registration process. However, when we do so, we do not give the other business your name and address. If you do not wish to receive these offers, please send an email with your request to email@example.com. We may provide certain of your Personal Information to third parties if you affirmatively allow us to do so by opting in to an offer we make to you.
Invitations: When you invite someone to join the CarePlace community, please be aware that we may disclose your real name, as an invitation containing your name will be sent to the email address of the person you wish to invite. This information is necessary to make sure your invitee knows who has contacted them. To build a community based on trust and empathy, we feel this disclosure is necessary.
Business Transfers: In some cases, we may choose to buy or sell assets. In these types of transactions, customer information is typically one of the business assets that are transferred. Moreover, if CarePlace, or substantially all of its assets were acquired, or in the unlikely event that CarePlace goes out of business or enters bankruptcy, customer information would be one of the assets that is transferred or acquired by a third party. You acknowledge that such transfers may occur, and that any acquirer of CarePlace may continue to use your Personal Information as set forth in this policy.
Protection of CarePlace and Others: We may release Personal Information when we believe in good faith that release is necessary to comply with that law; enforce or apply our conditions of use and other agreements; identify, isolate or prevent security breaches or fraud; or protect the rights, property, or safety of CarePlace, our employees, our users, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
With Your Consent: Except as set forth above, you will be notified when your Personal Information may be shared with third parties, and will be able to prevent the sharing of this information.
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION CAN I ACCESS?CarePlace allows you to access the following information about you for the purpose of viewing, and in certain situations, updating that information. This list will change as our Website changes.
- User profile information (address, zipcode, about me)
- Health Subscriptions
DELETING YOUR ACCOUNTShould you ever decide to delete your CarePlace account, you may do so by visiting the My Account page and choosing "delete your account." If you terminate your account, your profile, including any messages in your inbox, will be removed from the site and deleted from CarePlace's servers. Because of the way we maintain CarePlace, such deletion may not be immediate, and residual copies of your profile information or posts may remain on backup media.
WHAT CHOICES DO I HAVE?
- As stated previously, you can always opt not to disclose information to use, even though it may be needed to take advantage of certain CarePlace features.
- You are able to add or update certain information on pages, such as those listed in the “What Personal Information Can I Access” section above. When you update information, however, we often maintain a copy of the unrevised information in our records.
- You may request deletion of your CarePlace account by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that some information may remain in our records after deletion of your account.
HEALTH INSURANCE PORTABILITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY ACTCarePlace is not a healthcare provider, insurer, or clearinghouse and is therefore not subject to the privacy and security regulations issued under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 ("HIPAA"). HIPAA, however, serves as a model for CarePlace with respect to privacy issues, and the fact that we are not bound by HIPAA does not reflect how seriously we take our responsibility. As the services CarePlace offers expand and we work with business partners who are subject to HIPAA, we will take steps to ensure that our website and operations comply with all applicable HIPAA privacy and security requirements. For more information about HIPAA or our compliance, see the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services website.
QUESTIONS OR CONCERNSIf you have any questions or concerns regarding privacy at CarePlace site, please send us a detailed message to email@example.com. We will make every effort to resolve your concerns.
Effective Date: September, 2010